Tuesday, December 16, 2008

12 days of Christmas

I have had a little trouble this year getting into the season. I think it may have something to do with me not working, which sounds a little crazy. But at work, we always talked about our favorite Christmas memories and our Christmas plans and what our gift purchases had been. We also gave each other advice on gift choices or ideas on where to find something for that difficult person on your list. And of course there is the office gift exchange. Which by the way is one of my favorite episodes of the real "Office". You know the one where they set up a gift exchange and set a $20 limit and then Michael goes and buys an ipod for his gift? Hilarious. Then he gets mad when he gets some cheesy throw away gift. But I digress... Anyway, at our office exchange we set a limit and then drew names. A gift request list would go up and for weeks we would debate on what to put on that list. Of course when the big day arrived, there was always much festivities with great food and great fun. I miss that about our office. This year I am in a constant mode of feeling not good enough. Christmas cards this year were not good enough. Teachers gifts were not good enough. Christmas decorating was not good enough. Christmas outfits for the girls were not good enough. Sigh. The struggle of a perfectionist.

I watched something today that took me out of my perfectionistic funk. It made me laugh, it made me want to listen to Christmas music and bake my pumpkin bread. I want to share this gem with you just in case you are needing a little more of that elusive Christmas spirit that everyone talks about. Go on, I dare you not to smile....

No comments: