Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Some Random Thoughts about Summer

I know I said a post about Mackenzie was coming next, and trust me it is on the horizon. I was so emotional about BOTH of my girls moving on to new grades/schools for next year. I found myself tearing up as I led Mackenzie out of her 2nd grade room. But wait, I am saving those thoughts for my next post. Honestly, it's just too heavy for this late at night. And, I don't have access to all my great pics from the year since my external hard drive is hiding out trying to get some much needed rest after all the festivities last week. So, maybe tomorrow....

In the meantime, let's play a little catch up. We spent the first weekend of summer visiting Tulsa and participating in ...drum roll please..... the nation's largest 3 v 3 soccer tournament. Wow, I can see the faces green with envy through the glow of my lap top. Seriously though, we had a great time. The girls got to swim in the hotel pool (well, Avery got to sit on the steps), we had some good meals, and even got to shop a little. Oh yeah, and we spent 9 hours on a soccer field with an almost 1 yr old and lost 5 games in a row. That part was a little rough. But we had fun as a family and got to hang out and meet some families that aren't normally in our radar. Fun times, but we are ready to put soccer behind us for a while!

On to the business of summer! I am a routine kind of girl. August is one of my favorite months. I love the anticipation of school approaching and all of the school supplies sitting out brand new and fresh just waiting to be filled with all kinds of assignments. Oh yes, I am one of those people - a nerd. So here is June - the anti-August, if you will. The time to throw routines and assignments out the window. However I have officially kicked off the summer routine. I'm finding it's okay to be lazy and do nothing, but only if it's on the schedule and during the allotted "lazy time" of the day. So far, it has gone amazingly well. We joined a local gym for the summer to help with the routine issue, to motivate me, and to make use of an outdoor pool. We are waiting for a certain green cast to come off before hitting the pool, but we have hit the gym 2 days in a row. The kids enjoy going to the play area and I am getting in a little structure and fitness. We have been to the library twice and our church's indoor play area. Tomorrow is movie day when we will go see UP. Next week is Vacation Bible School followed by an upcoming trip to St. Louis to visit my parents. Along the way, we are working in plenty of downtime in which we have watched Black Beauty, made tons of smores, and had a mock-campout in the backyard. Oh yeah, lots of reading and I've even had time to get reacquainted with the Gilmore Girls. (Amy, I'm in the middle of season six with the final season seven looming large on the horizon. :( ) You see, even though I was home with my kids (for the first time ever) during last summer, it was spent giving birth then tending to a newborn and getting adjusted to life with 3 kids. Very different. For the first time, I'm not shipping my kids off to a summer day care and I'm not walking around like a sleep deprived zombie in the summer. Now I can throw 3 kids in the car in a flash and actually enjoy the summer environment. Seriously, if summer stays this wonderful, I may change my views on August very quickly!

This weekend I have actually made plans to go garage sale-ing with a friend. We have an early morning coffee date and then we're hitting our neighborhood's HUGE annual garage sale. I'm not sure if I am more excited about the possible used goods I might find or just having some time with a girlfriend away from the kids! Maybe I'll take a camera along just for fun.

I will leave you with something fun. Just when I had put all of my Twilight obsessive-ness to rest, Summit goes and releases the first trailer for New Moon. Man, here comes that weird feeling again. Yep, giddy over a silly vampire movie. Can't wait for November 20. That's all I'm saying. It's got to be better than Twilight, right?


2 comments:

Valerie said...

It will totally be better than Twilight because, in my opinion, the only good thing about the first movie was the beautiful scenery. And besides, I am completely TEAM JACOB. So much so that I couldn't really finish the last book because I was so grossed out by the whole storyline (I did skim to catch what all happened). When that last movie comes out, um, well, I'll be washing my hair...:)

Jennifer said...

I know how you feel about the new movie. I was so excited about the movie coming out when I saw the preview. I have a feeling the special effects might be on a different level this time around, call me crazy.