Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My crazy talented mother

A few months ago, I put in a request to my mother. You see, my mother is crazy talented. She bought an embroidery machine several years ago and since that day she has been churning out all sorts of homemade goodies for me and my kids. I've received countless burp cloths, bibs, t-shirts, jackets, blankets, tea towels cooking aprons, and quilts. I guess one day I should collect it all together and make her a photo gallery so she could see how much progress she had made over the years. But that is an idea for another post.

Today, I am showcasing my favorite piece she has made for me. Which brings me back to my request. It was for a "happy birthday" banner. You see, I wanted a homemade banner that I could hang on my mantel and display year after year for every family member's birthday. I envision the day when Nathan will say, "Mom, it's almost my birthday, when are you putting up the banner?" It's a symbol of the upcoming festivities and everyone knows it is a special week around the house. (There are rules, of course. It can only go up one week before the birthday and it can only stay up for 1 week after the birthday. With 3 kids, much effort is put into being fair and learning to keep the peace!) I had toyed around with the idea of making one from scrapbook paper, when I thought, I bet my crazy talented mother could make me one. "Hey mom," I began sweetly one day while she was visiting. "Have you ever seen a fabric birthday banner?" Of course I had a picture at the ready. It's always best to have something visual to get the creative juices flowing. Here was the picture I showed her:

So cute, right? Sure enough, she was hooked and the next day we were off to the fabric store to pick out some fabrics. (Love, love, love those Moda fabrics by the way!) A week later, while visiting at her house, she shows me the almost completed project. After a little instructions for me and some trim additions, I had a completed birthday banner exactly like my picture only 2 weeks after I put in my request. It's great having a crazy talented mother!

In honor of Mackenzie's upcoming 9th birthday, the banner has been hung for the 2nd time. I can't wait for her to see it when she comes home from school today! Pretty close to the original, don't you think? It's funny that now when I hang it, I not only feel like I'm honoring the birthday celebration, but including my mom in the celebration too. I obviously get not only my analytical side from her, but also my creative side. She is a crazy talented scrapbooker, cook, & seamstress. Now if only I could get her to step away from Facebook's Farmtown game and finish reading Twilight.... ;) Love you Mom!



P.S. The picture on my mantel was taken by my crazy talented best friend whose photography skills can be seen on her website here. Love that picture!

5 comments:

Sisters said...

I love it!!! Ms. Kirby is so cool.
AJL

Anonymous said...

I knew she was crazy, but didn't know how talented she is!!! LOL That is an awesome way to celebrate birthdays! Shannon, you write beautifully - I especially love the part about honoring not only the person and their birthday, but also your mom! Beautiful job Debbie! Phyllis

Jennifer said...

That is awesome! My MIL has one of those fancy machines. I may just show her a picture too! :-)

Valerie said...

Gotta get my hands on one of those fancy machines...too fun!

Anonymous said...

i will be waiting on the blog about your little sister