Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Anatomy of a 9 year old's desk


For her birthday last month, all Mackenzie requested was a desk for her room where she could sit and do her homework. Since we have a limited amount of space in her room for a desk, I was thrilled to find one at Target that fits perfectly! A month later, it is already a perfect reflection of Mackenzie's personality.


Let's take a little closer look...
Exhibit A


This note is hanging on her bulletin board (along with her honor roll ribbon and her Awana verses to memorize). If you can't read it completely it says, "don't forget Michael Jackson ruff draft and editing." Hilarious! The note is what inspired me for this post. She loves Michael Jackson and is currently working on a report about him (not for school, just for her own personal enjoyment) by researching his life on the internet. But I didn't even know she knew about rough drafts and editing! :) So proud of my girl who says she wants to be a publisher or editor when she grows up because all she wants to do is read every day. She is well on her way!
Exhibit B


Her new grown up lamp that she got to pick out all by herself. The little plant thingy in the corner? No real idea what it is, but my dad brought it back for her from a trip to China and apparently kids over there love it. When the light is on, the little plant bobs up and down. Strange.

Exhibit C


Bottlecap necklaces. She got 7 of these for her birthday and I think they were her favorite gifts. If you don't know what a bottlecap necklace is, then I'm guessing you don't have any girls in the 5-12 age group. They are all the rage around here. They are basically a stretchy necklace and magnet and then you can buy different bottlecaps that you can change out every day.

Exhibit D


"Play piano at music class" She was so excited that her music teacher at school asked her to play "This Land is Your Land" while her class sang along. She practiced those 8 measures for a month. Since their musical program is not until February, I'm guessing I'm going to hear them for a long time yet!

Exhibit E



A picture of her best friend from the summer. A painted jar she made at art camp. Her new idog that she LOVES. Her Bible. Freshly sharpened pencils waiting to write that MJ report.

It's kind of scary how accurately reflects things that are important to her. Makes me want to go and clean off my own desk in case someone decided to dissect it and find out what makes me tick. Because they might just think I'm all about the latest Boden catalog. Not that there's anything wrong with that!


1 comment:

My name is Sara. said...

This cracks me up! It is so Mackenzie. Please do plan a night out so Grant and I can come over and watch your 3 wonderful kids =)