Thursday, October 29, 2009

Fall is for Apple Cake!

This morning was yet another gloomy, cloudy, rainy day, so against my better judgment I decided to skip the gym and make an apple cake instead. See how seamlessly one bad decision can lead to another? I love baking in the fall. There's just something about the crisp coolness in the air, looking out your window to see beautiful red leaves falling and the smell of cinnamon and apples coming from your oven. This weekend we had a Halloween/birthday shin-dig at the house and we played some kid's relay games with baskets of apples. I had been looking for the perfect recipe to put some of those leftover apples to good use. Of course, me being the huge Pioneer Woman fan that I am, it was straight to her website to find a recipe. (Can't wait to get my hands on her new cookbook, by the way! It's on my Christmas list, hint, hint.) Here's a warning: the following cake should not be consumed by anyone remotely interested in their health as it's loaded, swimming in, smothered, drowning, in tons of butter. My advice is to pair it with some broiled fish, brown rice and broccoli for dinner just to offset the adverse health implications. Enjoy!









2 comments:

Valerie said...

I think I shall be meeting ol' P-Dub in person tomorrow afternoon for a cookbook signing! I'm just hoping they really do have enough cookbooks to buy as all of the bookstores 'round these parts are sold out...

I must try the apple cake soon! Preparations are already underway for the 3rd Annual PW Thanksgiving Dinner at my casa...

Party of Five said...

Ooh, I am jealous that you may get a signed copy! Post a picture if you get one. I might try the pear crisp or a different dessert. This one looked better than it held up. I think it's one that needs to go straight from the oven to the table. And soooo much butter!