Friday, September 17, 2010

East Coast Girls are Hip

I am as excited as a kid 2 weeks before Christmas. Waiting. Anticipating. It's the best thing sometimes. My husband and I are finally taking a little getaway with no kids. To the best we can remember, it's been 5 years since this has happened. 5 YEARS people! It will probably be 5 years before it happens again. It takes so much coordination to leave 3 kids behind. So many things to plan and prepare. So much guilt in taking off without them. So much worry about being so far away. But then there is my wonderful husband. My husband who so patiently (most of the time) waits while they tell me very important things like every person in their class that got in trouble with the teacher that day and which new silly bands were acquired. He deserves much more than 5 days of my undivided attention, but such is the state of life right now. Thanks to my wonderful mother-in-law and the WBBE (world's best baby sitter EVER), it looks like this trip is actually going to happen.

So where are we going, you ask? We're headed to the East Coast! California girls can keep all their daisy dukes and bikinis on top. And their popsicles too. I've been to L.A., and frankly, just wasn't impressed at all. New York? It's my 2nd love, just right under Disney World. I fell in love with the East Coast when my parents took my cousin and I when we were 12 and 9. One of my most fun trips. Do you remember collecting all those shopping bags as souvenirs, Ashley? Great memories. Made a trip there again for New Year's Eve with a college roomie and then ♥ THE MOST ROMANTIC WEEKEND EVER ♥ there with my husband several years ago. It took one carriage ride through Central Park, snuggled under blankets and drinking hot chocolate on a beautiful fall October Saturday morning for me to be a forever NYC girl. A few years ago, I took a last minute girls shopping trip there with my mother, my second mothers two aunts, and my cousin. Just lots of shopping and eating great food and so much fun. This time we're going to branch away from NYC but staying true to my east coast love, we're going here:
and here:
and hopefully eat lots of this:
On the agenda: a beautiful hotel room on the Boston harbor waterfront, a dinner cruise on Boston Harbor, a day trip to Kennebunkport, a quick trip to Newport, RI, and lots of great food and conversation. We truly cannot wait. Christmas is almost here!

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Woohoo for Boston! Doug had a business trip there mere weeks after we brought Henry home so I did what any new mama would do -- took him with us, haha! Henry and I rode on the "swan boats" and saw the ducks (just like in the children's book) and I went by myself one evening to catch the Boston Pops in concert (AMAZING, I highly recommend if it is a possibility, although I think they might only be in the summer), and took a day trip to Salem to the Witch Museum. I'm nerdy like that. But what a cool city. We've been to Maine as well. You'll love it. Okay, now I'm officially jealous...;)

Anonymous said...

This is from Mom...I do remember your first trip to NYC which was also mine too!! It was a lot of fun with you and Ashley seeing all those wonderful landmarks of NYC. I remember you noticing the homeless people for the first time and then you & Ashley began to leave little gifts of food for them. Couldn't figure out why you all were asking for extra crackers at the eating places. I know exactly how you feel about leaving behind three children for a grandmother to watch them....believe me they will be find and she will enjoy this time that they are totally hers!! I only wish it was me that was watching them. I know you and Marty will have a wonderful time and five days will go by so quickly. Enjoy yourselves!!