Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Technical Issues

About a month ago, we made a splurge purchase. My laptop had been soooo slow and the hard drive on it was almost full to the point that I had to keep deleting things to make room for new stuff. My husband gave me the ok to upgrade, and on a tax-free, back-to-school shopping event, I finally made the jump to a Mac. Oh my. This machine is beautiful. Everything is lightning fast speed. It's hard to explain, but everything is just easier. And easier + faster =more time in my day! My setup is exactly like the pic above with the wireless keyboard and mouse. Also, notice the almost hidden optical drive on the side of the monitor and the port for an SD card. Awesome, right? Wrong. Yesterday, after taking a few pics, I was going to upload to the computer and reached up to insert my SD card into the port. Instead I put the card into the optical drive. Whoops. Dang. Now I have a brand new computer with an optical drive that doesn't work because my card is floating around somewhere on the inside of lala computer land. AND I have lost my all time favorite, 4g camera card. AND we are getting thisclose to taking a trip in which I NEED that card. DANG. I lost an hour of my life yesterday to trying to shake it out, tweezer it out, paper clip it out, and nothing. Grrr. Apple, your iMac machines can do so much, can't you make one that is 100% human error proof?

Speaking of Apple, I have a serious complaint. I get that they are always changing their products to move things forward and all, but sometimes things that work well don't need to be changed. Last Christmas, my oldest daughter received this ipod Nano.
It's been a great gift for her. It has a radio, takes pictures AND video, and has large enough storage to meet her needs for a long time. And it's durable. It's survived many cheeto stained hands, a 2 year old's mistreatment and a night spent outside in a torrential downpour. She loves it so much, that it has caught the eye of her little sister. Now guess who wants a Nano for Christmas? She want one exactly the same (different color, of course). And guess who just changed their Nano lineup? Stinkin' Apple. Always trying to move forward. This is the new Nano Do you see how small that thing is in relation to the ear buds? My girl would lose that thing in a heartbeat. Also, same price as earlier model, but no camera, no video camera. Boo. So yesterday I hightailed it over to my local big box store and purchased my first Christmas gift of the season before they are off the shelves for good. A purple 5th generation Nano. No touch screen for us. It's old school click wheel all the way for this family. We're cool like that. And we put SD cards into optical drives. Now where's that tech support phone number....

No comments: