Thursday, May 19, 2011

a belated mother's day recap

If being a great mother was judged on my ability to churn out an amazing mushroom risotto and fresh blackberry cobbler, I would have received an A+ yesterday. If it was based on time management, patience, and my effectiveness at ironing and putting away the laundry, the grade was an F. Thank goodness our children don't judge us this way! They detested the risotto (of which I was extremely impressed and proud of myself, thank you very much), and were annoyed when I insisted upon their help with the laundry. This is typical of most days where you feel like you win some and lose some on the parenting scoreboard. But occasionally, your children can surprise you and affirm that you are in fact doing okay as a mom. Mother's Day was one of those days for me. I know, I know, kids are supposed to appreciate their mothers on Mother's Day. Even so, their gifts to me meant more than any material gift and warmed my heart in an amazing way!

Exhibit A: Mackenzie's poem and book of art

I know I'm not impartial, but I see some serious art talent here!

Exhibit B: Avery's random scrapbook pages and poems
"rose are red vilis are blue and no won is a pretty as you" Sweet!
"Happy Mothers day - you are a brit as the sun" Swoon!
"Sorry its not the best presint its all I can do, but happy Mothers Day to you!" Ha!
"My mom is very wise.
She has gorgis green eyes.
She is loved very much.
Shannon is very comical.
My nice dasling (dazzling) mom is buteyful.
She drinks water and tee all the time." Makes my heart melt!
"Mother's day rocks - you are special like a dazy (daisy) and I love dazys! I love you, Avery, to a asme (awesome) mom" Swoon!

My girls had the best time making these and were so proud to give them to me. I love them so much and am now thinking of starting a "Mom Book". I will treasure those cards and poems forever. And just so my husband doesn't feel left out, he gifted me with one of these:
Love, love!

I am so blessed to be loved by such sweet kiddos and an amazing husband. Even when they aren't impressed with my risotto cooking skills!


No comments: