Monday, July 28, 2008

My latest obsession

My subscription to Entertainment Weekly often gets me into trouble. Due to some random article, I will become suddenly intrigued with a tv show, movie, series, or book of which I have never been interested in before. Examples: HGTV's show Design Star, Bravo's Project Runway, Showtime's Dexter. All really great shows that I cannot recommend enough! However, my recent EW issue actually featured a book on the cover. (Almost unheard of nowadays, except for Harry Potter of course). I read the article and was surprised to see that it was a story about a young girl who falls in love with a vampire. Now, I am not really into vamps and stuff, but hey, the article said this is the next greatest thing since J.K. Rowling, so I thought I would give it a chance. Stopped at the bookstore on my way out of town to the beach for a week and had my first inkling that I would like this book. The cashier asked me, "Are you just beginning this series?" Yes, I replied. "Get ready, everyone that works in this store has ready every book of the series and can't quit talking about it." OK, now I was really intrigued. I started it a few days into my trip and halfway through, I knew I was hooked! Finished book 1 and rushed to a book store to grab book 2. I bought the last copy in the store! Finished book 2 yesterday and rushed last night to grab book 3. Sold out. Went to another store. Sold out. AGGHHHH! Today's agenda - book store 3. Let's hope they are not sold out. If so, I will have to order it online today and wait an agonizing week!


So, what is so great about these books? I am not really sure other than it is the sweetest love story I have read in a long time. The girl is in love with a vampire. You know this story cannot end well, but yet, they have to be together. You need them to be together. I guess I've always been a sucker for ill-fated romances. Romeo and Juliet, Moulin Rouge, Titanic. Lovers that try to overcome obstacles at any cost just to be together. I just didn't expect it to happen with a vampire. I guess that is part of the charm. The great thing about the books too is that they barely even have kissed. Wow, a love story without graphic sex, or any sex for that matter. Fabulous!


I am also completely intrigued by the author, Stephenie Meyer. She is a stay at home mom of 3 boys, 8 and under. What? She's like my age! She had this idea one day and started writing. Here she is 5 books and 1 movie later and she's set for life. Her website is awesome and she even includes things like a song playlist for her books. She listens to music as she writes and then gives a playlist that follows the story lines. And they are all of my favorite artists like Coldplay, the Fray, the Killers, and My Chemical Romance. Time to start my Twilight playlist!


Anyway, enough about this obsession. The bookstore opens in 1 hour and I have 3 kids to get up and moving. One night without Bella and Edward was enough!


1 comment:

Tiffany Schwarz said...

Wow - check you out Shannon! I love your blog - it's so you. It makes me miss you and feel like I'm not far all at the same time. Look forward to more!