Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Welcome to my diner!

After becoming a true stay-at-home mom 4 weeks ago, I also entered into a few new occupations without realizing it. The job that takes up the majority of my time is running my diner. Huh? Diner, you say? Yep. I serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner and snacks with my hours running anywhere between 6:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. The menu varies, but a few staples remain constant. Among these would be pancakes, macaroni and cheese, corn dogs, grilled chicken, and roast. Occasionally, something inspired will sneak onto the menu such as Grilled Salmon with Asparagus drizzled with Lemon Butter! Most of my customers (the husband, and 2 girls) will respond with delightful cries of "yuck, what is this? I am NOT eating that!". I also will make everything into special orders. Do you prefer grape jelly, strawberry, or perhaps apple butter? Do you like your syrup on the side of your waffles or on top? Whipped cream or cool whip? The one catch to this wonderful eatery is that the kitchen operates on a rotating schedule due to feeding demand of one newborn baby. If the baby is hungry, the kitchen is closed for 1 hour due to the employee being unavailable for cooking duty. Did I forget to mention there is only 1 employee? Yes, yes! 1 employee that serves as the head chef, sous chef (look at my food network addiction paying off with expanded vocabulary!), waitress, bus boy, dishwasher, hostess, manager and owner. The hours will be shifting slightly in late August due to the majority of customers will now want their meals packed "to go". Stay tuned for updated seasonal menu and hours coming soon....

No comments: