Monday, January 10, 2011

Our ever expanding family

Today is one of my favorite days - the first snow day of the year! We got to cancel school, the mopping date with my floors, a spelling bee, PTA meeting and dentist appointments. Instead, we are still in our PJ's at 10:00, eating breakfast and watching iCarly. What's not to love? I woke up in a baking mood and have already churned out homemade blueberry muffins and a chocolate sheet cake because apparently I need more carbs and sugar in my life. Pretty soon, I am going to bundle up the kids, grab a camera and play outside. Hopefully they will be so exhausted so that after lunch, it will be nap/movie time and I can tackle some laundry and a book. Perfect day.

Except. Our family has recently and somewhat spontaneously grown from 6 (5 humans, 1 dog) to 8 (5 humans, 1 old dog, 1 puppy, and 1 kitten). The puppy was a much discussed, but quick decision made back in October. Lexi is a border collie/australian shepherd mix and is apparently a rare shorthair version of those two. She looked like this in Octoberand like this at 3 monthsand looks like this now at 5 months old.She is a sweet dog, but she is high energy, and even though we have 3 active kids, we are still pretty much a low energy family. She is so smart, and on the days she gets the right amount of attention and affection, she is the best dog ever.Want to know what's got her attention? It's the other newest family member: Kit-Kat.Right before Christmas, he showed up at my in-laws house. My husband, being the huge cat lover he is (??? nothing is further from the truth!), decided to bring home the kitten to join the zoo that is known as our home. He loves that little kitten so much, I wouldn't dream of protesting the adoption, but it's really been such a joy to see Nathan bonding with him. Kit-kat puts up with being carried upside down, stuffed into a Toy Story tent, contained in Lego baskets, and forced to ride in electric 4 wheelers. Not to mention Kit-kat also gets the leftover "affection" from Lexi and the occasional snap from the old dog, Sydney. He is going to be one tough cat and judging by the size of the coyote we saw roaming our street the other day, he may need those skills. When you throw a snow day into the mix with 3 animals, it gets pretty rambunctious around here very quickly. Just trying to feed them all separately and stop the fighting over food can get pretty vicious. Last night our cocker spaniel bit me 3 times on the leg. First time in 13 years she has bitten me, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a little betrayed. But she is senile, deaf, and has had to put up with a lot of commotion lately, so I guess I don't blame her for being a little, um, bitchy. Just like we always knew that 3 kids was our stopping point, I'm pretty sure that 3 animals is more than enough.

On a completely related note, in less than a month, I will have new hardwood floors in my house! Yea!


2 comments:

Wendy said...

Cute pictures!!! You're brave - I can't handle a dog AND kids.

Valerie said...

Loved this post and getting to see the "rest of your family"! It's funny, your puppy Lexi looks just like our oldest dog, Mazi. We've always guessed that she was a mix of those breeds, and judging from seeing your dog, we've got to be pretty much on the money. She is short hair as well. And you know I love that Kit-Kat! Funny thing -- my husband was always anti-cat, and now he is probably the one most in love with Harry and Sally. His dislike of cats only stemmed from the fact that he'd never had one.