Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spring Break: Day 2

Well, get ready because this was one exciting day. *Insert sarcasm emoticon here* We do have a few outings planned later this week, so today was a "catch up around the house day". The kids were thrilled. Actually they played outside a lot. As in, all. day. long. This freed me to work on moving some pics to my external hard drive (hold back your jealousy of my exciting day), finish my book, and do a little laundry and tv watching. The girls got invited to go to McDonalds and our local bounce house, so Marty and I enjoyed take out and a little quiet time with Nathan.

I did try something new that I had been wanting to try out for some time. I made this:


a kale-apple smoothie. If you haven't tried kale, it's a dark green leafy lettuce, kind of like spinach. I tried making kale chips, where you bake them in the oven, but they didn't turn out too well. I found a recipe in a magazine for a kale smoothie and it was surprisingly yummy! It's so easy to make, because there is no slicing and dicing involved. I tore a few washed kale leaves, added 1/2 cup light apple juice, one banana, a splash of lime juice, and enough ice to make it slushy. I told the kids it was a late St. Patrick's day treat (we had green pancakes last Thursday, so they are used to color-altered food), and they even enjoyed it. I know it sounds kind of gross, but it was so good. I'm having another one tomorrow!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Yay! So glad you posted this. Planting kale in my garden this year. Where did you find kale around here?

Ps....so glad to see you blogging again. ;) I always love your posts.

Party of Five said...

You are so sweet, and quite the blogging queen yourself! ;) I found kale here in both main Wal-mart stores and also saw some Monday in our local store that's closest to your house. Try some and let me know how you fix it!