Thursday, August 25, 2011

a Pinterest Project

I have so many great things to post about! But so little motivation to actually sit down and write about them. I guess I am enjoying knocking things off my to-do list too much!

One item I marked off the list a few weeks ago was a framing project that I had mentioned. I have recently jumped on the Pinterest bandwagon. It is truly fabulous for getting your creative thoughts flowing or put your motivation into overdrive. Or it can keep you sitting at the computer for hours while you look at everyone else's creativity. I was determined to actually create something that I loved on Pinterest.

Here are the inspirational photos:
(for sources, you can follow me on Pinterest here.)

Since I already had several old frames, this was approximately a $10 project.

Frames before:
Side note: I have learned the hard way that the best way to hang groups of frames is this: measure your space, arrange your frames in this manner on the floor in the same size space, use butcher paper to cut paper frames of each frame in exactly the same size, measure and hang these paper frames to the wall with tape, once satisfied with arrangement, nail the paper frames to the wall, remove paper frames (but not the nails) and replace with real frames - no multiple nail holes or remeasuring needed!

I ended up having to break mine up into 2 arrangements due to the funky placement of a random light switch in my kids' hallway. Male contractors, you make me tired. A girl would never put a light switch at a different height than all the others, in the middle of a long hallway wall. But I digress.

I had a little painting help. Yes, he's only wearing underwear and we painted on a drop cloth on my hardwood floors. (Hi Mom!) It was like 120 degrees that day and no paint drops were spilled, so no worries. Moving on.

The 3 year old with no clothes on took this picture with my DSLR camera. He has talent, right?
Maybe he'll be a stay at home blogger one day.
Ready to start hanging my paper frames!

And the (mostly) final product...

I was quite pleased with how these turned out. The beauty of these frames is that they are hung on my kid's side of the house. They are not visible at all to anyone that is not going to their rooms or their bathroom. Which means it's great that the frames match their shower curtain and not the rest of my house. I am using them to hang artwork and do have plans to make 2 of the frames into chalkboard. I will possibly add chicken wire to one or two as well. It looks like an easy, breezy project, but it took me several hours with my little "helper" around. Also, if you try this project, keep in mind that your kid's artwork has to be fairly small to fit inside of a frame. An 8 1/2 x 11 paper size or smaller works great with most frames.

So hooray for Pinterest for motivating me to actually accomplish something creative in my house. Now, if only I could un-motivate myself to make these brownies that I pinned earlier.
Yum, yum.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

After four moves in four years of marriage, and lots of hole-covered apartments left in our wake, I finally learned the paper frame-hanging trick from Martha Stewart just before moving into our current house. Our landlord will probably like us a lot more than our previous ones did when we move out!

Tiffany Schwarz said...

I LOVE how your frame project turned out. So cute, artistic and colorful. And fun too of course. I may have to give that a try someday. I can't yet decide if pinterest is a good thing for the inspiration it gives me or a bad thing because it gives me more things I want to do but may never get around to - Ha! I'm impressed with you - you wanted to do it and that's exactly what you did!! Good job. :-)