Monday, August 10, 2009

One Question for You

I am a reader. I cannot remember a time when I didn't have a book that I was dying to read or a magazine that I couldn't put down. I can remember hiding in the bathroom with a book when my mother wanted me to clean the kitchen or some other mundane job around the house. I couldn't understand why someone should spend time doing chores when the Sweet Valley High twins, Jessica and Elizabeth, were having boyfriend issues. Where's the perspective? Dishes could wait! I was always a sucker for any story about an animal. A Dog Named Kitty? Yep, cried right through that one. Where the Red Fern Grows? I can't tell you how many times I have read that book and Old Dan and Little Ann can still tug at my heartstrings. Love, love, love Watership Down, the strange little rabbit story that makes you look at the bunny hopping through your yard in an entirely different light. That's the great thing about books; they transform your environment without you even realizing it. If I have a bad day, I can pick up a book and instantly read about someone who is having an even worse day. (Jodi Picoult, anyone? Man, those books are depressing!) If I need a laugh, I have the entire Marion Keyes collection on my bookshelf. She is chick-lit, but being from Ireland and all, she's a little more saucy than your typical Sophie Kinsella or Candace Bushnell. And if you really want to get away for a few hours, I highly recommend The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. It's action packed and it's "Stephen King approved" as one of the best books of 2008. Okay, losing focus quickly here, which is what happens when I talk about books.

I am always reading something, but most of the time, it's more than one book. I have provided the following visual example for you. This stack of reading material is currently sitting on my desk. It represents a typical week or two of reading for me.



Ok, so 2 issues of Better Home & Gardens, a Wishcraft catalog (with some ah-mazing Halloween costumes), Good Housekeeping, Creating Keepsakes (for all the scrapbooking I'm not doing), Parents, Charlene Harris' book 4 of her Sookie Stackhouse series, Fade (sequel to Wake, which was so intriguing I read the entire book in one afternoon), Entertainment Weekly (note the vampire headline, because between Twilight, the Sookie series, and True Blood, I guess I can't enough of the blood suckers), Garnet Hill catalog and a Ballard Designs catalog.

**Disclaimer** Yes, I also read the Bible, although not every day like I truly desire. So please don't be shocked that it's not included on this table. Don't worry, it's on the nightstand. **

So here's my question for you: "What are you reading?" Every book mentioned on this post came as a recommendation to me from someone else. It's how books are sustained year after year. People can't help but talk about a great book they've read. I want to know what you can't put down. I want to know what book keeps you up late at night. I want to know what book you are looking forward to being released. Any if by chance, you are not reading a book, then by all means, quit reading this boring blog and go out and find something uplifting, exciting, fantastic and transporting to read. Trust me, your local Barnes and Noble will have you covered. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a vampire calling my name....

2 comments:

Valerie said...

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society -- great great read.

And that costume catalog? I just checked it out online, oh man, and now the wheels are a-turnin' in my head. How to make that Viking costume for Henry but a lot cheaper? Doug would love it, being that he is part Norwegian and Swedish (and part Jewish), that his Hispanic son would dress up as a viking. That would be hilarious. Hmmm....

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the insight on the books. I'm going to have to read those Sookie books. I loved the Twilight books!