Thursday, August 6, 2009

A little of this, a little of that

A warning....

Parents of small children, advice just for you is forthcoming...do not let your children watch the movie Coraline. Here's a sneak peek in case you don't know about which movie I am speaking.




Now, the music is outstanding in this movie. The colors are amazing. The story? Well, it's straight out of Stephen King's library if you ask me. I don't have a problem with scary stories, I just don't like my 8 and 5 year old watching them on a stormy night right before bedtime. So now I feel compelled to warn other parents in the hopes that they may avoid a sleepless night filled with little tugs on the arm from girls who are too scared to go to sleep. AND please be warned there is a very, ahem, robust woman who appears on screen in nothing but panties and pasties over her nipples. Yes, my girls have now been introduced to glittery nipple covers, thank you very much Coraline.

A "the world viewed by a 5 yr old, verses the world viewed by a mom" moment

Ok, so while we are watching this Coraline movie, it becomes apparent very quickly that her parents are well, pretty crummy parents. They ignore her requests and spend way too much time on the computer and working instead of interacting with their daughter. I started feeling a tad uncomfortable like maybe this hits a little too close to home. (Girls, go play, I am busy on the computer...guilty) In one scene Coraline and her mother are in the front seat of the car and the mother is ignoring all of Coraline's attempts to get her attention and finally just snaps at her to be quiet. Out of nowhere, Avery comes up with this dialogue:

Avery: Man I am so glad we do not have a mother like her.
Me: (feeling smug) Oh, so you don't have a mother like Coraline?
Avery: Oh no, you are nothing like Coraline's mother.
Me: (feeling even more snug) Really? How am I different from Coraline's mother?
Avery: You are very different. You would never let me sit in the front seat of our car.

Coraline's mother is so terrible she causes her own daughter to want to run away to a fantasy world rather than be around her and this is how Avery thinks we are different? Her mother lets her sit in the front seat. Hmmm.... Thank you Avery for helping me keep it all in perspective. Kids are funny little people.

A prayer
Tomorrow morning my grandmother is having open heart surgery. The same grandmother I blogged about many months ago here. She is going to have a valve replaced which will hopefully make her heart stronger and bring more oxygen to her blood. I have complete faith that God is able to fully restore her heart and to work through the surgeons to bring her through a successful surgery. But, I also know that things can go wrong, and God usually works out details according to His own plan and not our plans. So, for the next 12 hours I will be fasting and praying with out ceasing and singing this song. Love you grandma!



1 comment:

Valerie said...

Haha, this one made me laugh, especially the warning about the glittery pasties. I just watched it for the first time last week and loved it, but yeah, there is no way I would let Henry watch it. It was so strange, but I loved the colors and the music. I'm definitely going to rewatch it come fall...