Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Going to play catch up - fast!

Ok, so not doing so well on my "30 blog posts in November" goal. I don't think you are supposed to take a week off when you make that kind of commitment. Now I will be playing catch up in a major way. And Thanksgiving is not even here yet with all of the family and cooking commitments. Oh well, no time like the present to get started!

2 major changes are happening right now that might be keeping me away from the computer more. My baby boy is now mobile! He finally learning how to roll over BOTH ways as of last week. Which means now he rolls and rolls and rolls and rolls. He goes from one end of our living room or bedroom to the other. And he moves lickety split fast! No more laying him down on the bed to do a quick chore. Nope. He has to be watched constantly. It's only a matter of time now before he is chasing me from room to room! Of course, he is a happier baby now that he doesn't get stuck on his tummy.

Now that he is 5 months old, I decided it was time for some big boy food. Big boy as in mushed carrots, peas, applesauce and bananas. Now I have been an overachiever and already pureed several bags of freshly steamed vegetables. Pumpkins, carrots, broccoli. However, my sweet little man does not like eating food. I am not about to waste the good stuff on these early stages only to be spit out on his bib. He only wants breast milk (or as his sisters call it - the boobie milk). He could care less about rice cereal, oatmeal, carrots. I tried to be the good mom and follow the advice that "they" give - start with the grains, follow with single vegetables, and lastly the fruits, so the babies don't develop a sweet tooth. Here's what happened: rice cereal = gagging and spitting out, oatmeal = gagging and spitting out, carrots = gagging and spitting out, squash = gagging and spitting out, bananas = light smacking and swallowing. So for now, we will operate backwards against the rules and start with fruits and possibly sneaking in some rice cereal or oatmeal along with the fruit. Who knows, banana-carrot-oatmeal medley may be his favorite meal by this time next week!

No comments: