Monday, November 10, 2008

Movie Madness

Ha! Movie Madness! That is a pretty funny title considering that my personal "movie madness" consists of approximately 3-4 G rated movies and possibly 1-2 adult movies per year. And by adult movies, of course I don't mean the true adult entertainment movies, just the non-animated, non talking animals kind of movies. Sometimes, after 90 minutes or so, I realize this is actually a grown up movie because I have yet to see a talking chihuahua, zebra, or raccoon. Of course no talking animals may only mean that I am watching High School Musical 3 (or hsm3 for all the parents of children too young to date, but old enough to call Dora the Explorer a baby show) or a movie based on a baby doll product. Yes Kit Kittredge of the American Girl hall of fame, I am talking about you. Now, I am very grateful that my kids have clean movies available to them, especially ones that promote some good values and some smart writing. But sometimes a girl just wants to be a grown up and forget that she is a mom of 3 and spends most of her time cleaning bathrooms, closets, and heines. (Is that how you spell hiney? Or is it hiny? Is the plural hineys? Spell check can't help with this one.) With holiday movie season upon us, there are two adult movies I am planning to see. Which means I must start 2-3 weeks ahead of time, actually putting the date on the calendar, arranging for a baby sitter, deciding where and when to see the movie. So much effort. Not to mention the money. Let's just hope it's worth it. (The fact that one of these movies is based on a novel written for 14 year old girls does not change its "adult movie" classification. A movie about vampires would not be appropriate for my 8 year old, which clears it for my grown up date night status.)





I must be a fan of escapism. Sure other movies have piqued my interest (Marley and Me), but I've got a husband, dog, and kids in real life. I don't really want to spend my big screen time in reality. You won't be finding any vampires or cattle herding going on over here.

So, the fun begins with Twilight on November 21, which is 11 days away. Not that I'm counting. See you at the movies!

1 comment:

Tiffany Schwarz said...

What a way to kick off the Thanksgiving season - being thankful for a night out away from responsibility. Thankful to have all the stars in the sky align so you can have date night w/ hubby. Enjoy, hope the movie is great!! Heck even if it isn't great I'm sure you'll be thankful just to have a night out! Have fun! :)